Thursday, November 17, 2016

Thursday, November 17th after a day at home

The last flight from JFK to Fort Myers was an easy one.  Less than 2 1/2 hours, no customs, no immigration, no currency to change, most everyone spoke English and I slept most of the way, even missing the free snacks and beverages on Jet Blue.  Here's a photo of me taken yesterday at the airport in Fort Myers, similar to the one taken on October 15th when this blog began.
I might look a little worse for wear.  A bit tired, somewhat in need of time to process the experiences, and happy to be home, if only until next Monday.

Regarding travel, Phyllis and I have enjoyed writing this blog and we will look back on it periodically as we have the last year's blog.  I recommend you learn it before your next nice journey.  It's easy to learn, at least the Google blog system was, and I found it enjoyable reviewing the day of traveling abroad for friends and family.  

This was almost certainly my last visit to Ukraine and Moldova, and hopefully, my second of many visits to Israel.  I seem to be understanding more and more of the importance of Israel to me and to so many other Jews living in the Diaspora.  I know that even before my first visit to Israel last year that if there were no Israel as a safe haven for all Jews, life would not seem so comfortable for me as it does.  I expect, as many Sar-El volunteers do, to volunteer again and again to do my small part in maintaining the continued existence of the State of Israel.

Some tips about traveling and blogging not in any order of importance.

1.  As soon as possible after taking pictures (we all take three of the same picture), delete the one's you won't want in your blog.

2.  Write every evening so as to avoid it becoming a burden of information that's piling up in your head.

3.  To pack efficiently I used the vacuum bags from Dollar Tree stores.  They work well to compress clothes and somehow they don't come out too wrinkled.

4.  To avoid getting sick from breathing the same air as all those other people on  the plane, I had with me the following items:

a.  Antibacterial wipes to wipe down the seat, armrests, tray table and back of the seat in front of you.

b.  Triple antibiotic ointment (from the dollar store, not Neosporin because it contains some inhibiting ingredient).  I learned this one from my doctor.  Before board or when you take your seat, wipe some of this stuff inside your nostrils.  My doctor swears that it will catch a lot of airborne bad stuff before it gets into your respiratory system.

c.  Ear plugs if you hope to get some rest on planes and trains and buses.

d.  Dust masks, the ones that are virus proof if you are feeling susceptible to illness more than usual.

e.  Pre-dose with zinc, vitamin C, Airborne, or other concoctions to strengthen your immune system.

f.  Wipe down all surfaces you may come in contact with in hotel rooms including the phone and the TV remote.

g.  Apply for Global Entry.  It costs $100 for five years.  PreCheck cost $85 for five years but only helps on domestic flights.  Global Entry makes re-entry to America so easy you won't believe it.  It's well worth the time it takes to apply.

That's all  I can come up with for now.  I want to thank you all for following along and for your comments.  it's been a pleasure writing this blog.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels,

Vic








No comments:

Post a Comment